Our friend Ann has shared her recipe for her superb Ginger wine, also known as OT. It is an Anglo-Indian drink that has good kick from the ginger and chillies but is alcohol free.
With your favourite dessert or with a slice of homemade cheesecake like Ann served hers with, this Ginger wine is just magic.
It is also a great warmer in the cooler months and has been said to be a soothing drink to take for coughs, sore throats and digestive problems.
Ann’s Ginger Wine or OT
- 250 g Ginger root, washed, peeled and thinly sliced
- 375 g sugar
- 3 red chillies, whole
- 5 whole cloves
- 1stick of cinnamon
- 1 Cardamom pod
- 1 Tblsp Lime or Lemon juice
- 2 1/2 L water
- Add water to a large heavy saucepan
- Stir in sugar
- Then add the ginger, chillies, cloves, cinnamon sticks and cardamom pod
- Bring to a rolling boil then reduce to simmer and cook until the mixture is reduced by half and thickened (at least 1 hour)
- Remove from heat and stir in the lime juice
- Allow to cool then, using a piece of cheesecloth, strain off the ginger and spices
- Bottle and keep in the fridge
- Enjoy your Ginger wine with your favourite dessert