Egg and Bacon Baskets are my favourite breakfast food. The bread “basket” is crisp and the egg, on a bed of tasty bacon and tomato can be cooked to any stage as you prefer. Just put the muffin pan with prepared baskets into the oven and when they are cooked to perfection enjoy for breakfast or for a light lunch with a salad or baked vegetables.
Egg and Bacon Baskets
Egg and Bacon Baskets:
- 1 egg per person
- 1 slice of wholemeal of white bread as preferred per person
- 1 slice of bacon, per person
- 6 grape tomatoes, cut in half
- Olive oil spray
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pre heat oven to 200º C FF
- Using a 6 cup Jumbo Muffin pan, spray the cups well with an olive oil cooking spray
- Cut the crusts from each slice of bread and set them aside
- Cut the bacon into 5 cm strips to the size of the bread
- Push the slice of bread into each of the muffin pan cups
- Push the strips diagonally into the spaces between the points of the slices of bread, forming a small well
- Add two tomato halves to the bacon
- Crack the eggs into a bowl one by one and use a spoon to transfer the egg yolk and enough white to fill the indentation in the bacon without overflowing. Beat the remaining egg whites with a little milk and add some grated Parmesan cheese and a little chopped bacon and parsley and bake in the muffin pan with the baskets
- Season the eggs well with salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper
- Place muffin pan into the preheated oven and cook until your eggs are done. At 20 minutes (as shown above) the white is cooked and the yolk is still runny, Just shake the muffin pan from time to time till the eggs are cooked to your liking. At the 10 minute mark, place the bread crusts onto a tray and place in the oven to toast
- When cooked , The baskets should be crispy and the eggs well cooked.
- Just serve the egg and bacon baskets and the toasted crusts as part of your breakfast or with baked vegetables or a green salad for lunch.