Chicken is so popular with the family and Lucia’s pan fried chicken is easy to make even with the cheapest cut and is so delicious that everyone wants more.
Garlic and onion, celery, carrot, rosemary and parsley and a good splash of your favourite white wine give this dish its great flavour. You can use any cut of chicken but this recipe uses the humble chicken drumstick and makes it the centre of a great meal.
Lucia’s Pan Fried Chicken
- 5-6 drumsticks (or other chicken cut)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large clove of garlic, chopped finely
- 1 carrot, cut into small chunks
- 1 small piece of celery
- 1 small bunch of parsley, stalks removed, chopped fineluy
- 1 small sprig of fresh rosemary, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup of Extra Virgin olive oil
- 1 knob of butter
- chicken seasoning
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Chop onion and parsley
- Wash celery and rosemary
- Chop carrot, celery and finely chop garlic and rosemary
- Using a large, heavy based saucepan on a medium high heat, pour in Extra Virgin olive and add the knob of butter
- When the butter foams place the chicken pieces into the saucepan
- Brown the chicken pieces well
- Then remove the pieces to plate and cover
- Lower the heat to medium. Add the chopped onion and celery and cook until the onion is transparent then add the chopped garlic and cook for a further minute
- Return the chicken pieces to the saucepan
- Splash over the white wine and allow to cook until it has evaporated
- Add the carrot pieces and chopped parsley
- Add a little hot water and season with salt and pepper and a good sprinkle of chicken seasoning
- Cover and cook for 45 mins or until the chicken is well cooked. Add water as required during cooking to stop it catching
- Serve, pouring over some of the delicious thickened cooking juices over chicken pieces.
- A great meal accompanied with a green garden salad, rice or other vegetables and some crusty sourdough bread.