Today, we the Grantham Gardeners, pay tribute to our friend Jackie, a contributor to this site, who passed away recently.
Jackie will be remembered by all who had the priviledge of knowing her, to be a strong and fiercely independent woman, active in public life, a loyal friend and a loving wife and mother.
She was committed to sustainable living and care for the environment even before the issues became popular and was a life long vegetarian.
An organic gardener and lover of succulents and cacti, Jackie shared images of her garden with us at this site. She shared the bounty of her efforts with friends, neighbours and those around her and was famous for her Christmas cakes.
Jackie was committed to standing up for the causes she believed in, joining in social action when needed. She dedicated herself as a volunteer counsellor with Lifeline for many years.
She was a trained teacher, sharing her talents and engaging her students with her outgoing personality.
Jackie loved the outdoors and for many years, up to recent times, she was a dedicated and active member of the scouting movement. She brought her enthusiasm and leadership abilities to foster the aims of scouting ; “to promote the development of young people in achieving their full physical, intellectual, social and spiritual potential, as individuals, as responsible citizens and as members of the local, national and international communities”
Over her lifetime Jackie travelled the world keeping in contact with her friends in far flung places. She was always generous and opened her home to those who needed her.
In her last years she was a heroic and tireless advocate and carer for her husband with aquired brain injury and a voice for others with a disability.
She was a colourful, gregarious, witty and fun-loving friend with a zest for living.
She actively made her world a better place through her generosity, tenacity, self sacrifice and her example to us all of what love in action really is.
We will remember those happy times together of laughter and sharing dear friend.
Our unforgettable Jackie.
Some time ago Jackie shared her recipe for a delicious Vegetarian Zucchini Slice with us on this site and I re-post it here:
Jackie’s Vegetarian Zucchini Slice
- 6 Eggs
- ½ cup Self-Raising flour
- 1 cup Tasty Cheddar cheese, grated
- ½ cup Greek Feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 medium Zucchini, grated
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tblsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed or finely chopped
- Semi-sundried Tomatoes
- 1 tsp fresh ginger (or 1/4 tsp ground ginger)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Basil, torn into small pieces
- Pre-heat oven to 180º C F
- Lightly grease a 30x20cm lasagne dish with olive oil or olive oil cooking spray.
- Heat the olive oil and a knob of butter on medium low and when the butter foams fry the onion in olive oil for 8 minutes
- Add the garlic and cook for a further minute or two then set aside to cool
- When the onion and garlic is cooled, combine all ingredients except for the eggs.
- Beat eggs lightly with a whisk and then add to other ingredients and combine well.
- Pour the mixture into the lasagna dish and bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until a knife inserted into mixture comes out clean and the slice comes away from the edges.
- Rest for a few minutes before serving with a green garden salad
(Jackie’s giant basil)