Chillies are are at their colourful best and ripening ready to use in a multitude of recipes.
George has shared his wonderful recipe for chilli infused oil and we hope that you will enjoy the making it and using it to enhance the flavour of everything you cook.
George’s Fabulous Chilli Oil
- 250g well ripened Chilli’s
- 1/2 cup Whisky
- 1 L Light Olive Oil
- Sterilised glass jar with good seal, able to hold quantity of oil plus chilli’s – with 15-20% room to breath
- As the fumes in making the chilli oil are very strong you may wish to use a burner outside or make sure the room is well ventilated
- Prepare chillies by carefully removing the stalks, twisting them but making sure not to break the chillies when doing this, keeping them as whole as possible.
- Dry fry the chillies in a fry pan, stirring constantly until soft and taking care not burn them or allow them to dry out -approx. 20 minutes.
- Add the whisky (with some for the chef), and stir until the whisky has been soaked up or has evaporated.
- Place cooked chilli’s in the sterilised jar and cover with the oil allowing a 15-20% gap between the oil and the lid.
- Store for at least a month. The longer it is stored the better for developing the flavour of the oil.
- When the chilli oil has been fully rested test the oil for its potency. If it is too hot it can be divided, more oil added and rested again. This will depend on the heat of the chillies themselves and to your own taste.
- Use the chilli oil in your cooking to add flavour and kick to your dishes. It is especially great drizzled on a pizza
Growing your ingredients – Growing Chillies
One thought on “George’s Fabulous Chilli Oil”