Cherries are still easily available and this sauce can be used with your favourite meats to add a little zest and contrast in flavours.
Cherry Sauce with Brandy
- 500 g dark ripe cherries
- 3 tblsp orange juice
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 1/2 tblsp of butter
- 2 french shallots, chopped finely
- 1/4 cup good cherry juice
- salt and pepper
- Chop the cherries into quarters
- In a saucepan melt the butter and then brown the chopped French shallots until they are well coloured and softened.
- Add the orange and lemon juice and cinnamon, stirring through well
- After a few minutes reduce the heat to medium and stir in the chopped cherries, cherry juice and season with salt and pepper
- Cook for a few more minutes and then stir in the brandy
- Simmer for 15 minutes or until the cherries have softened and collapsed and the liquid has evaporated well and the mixture thickened.
- Taste and adjust with extra Brandy if desired
If you can get fresh cranberries you could make this sauce with a mixture of cranberry and preserved cherry.