Those who are growing okra will have a bountiful crop and this recipe is perfect with rice as an accompaniment. Okra is also available frozen and in a dried form when okra is out of season making this a dish that can be prepared year round.
Make sure to select small fruits about 5 cm long for the tenderest result.
Okra in Tomato Sauce with Rice
- 500 g okra, fresh or frozen, prepared as below (choose the smallest tender okra, 5 to 7cm long)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tblsp tomato paste
- 1 cup tomato puree, or tomato sauce or 2-3 large Roma tomatoes diced
- 1 tblsp Extra Virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup of medium grain rice
- 1tblsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tsp stock powder
- 1/4 tsp salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preparing the okra
Wash the okra well and trim off the stalk. Carefully cut away the cap, being careful not to cut into the main part of the okra, as you would sharpen a pencil. Here is how the trimmed okra look:
- Place olive oil in pan and heat on medium
- Put in the rice and stir to toast the grains for 5 mins or till lightly coloured
- Dissolve the stock powder, salt and pepper into the water and add to the rice
- Stir in well, bring to the boil and then turn the heat to the lowest setting.
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes then set aside, the grains should separate well.
Okra in tomato sauce
- Heat olive oil on medium heat in a pan and add chopped onion. Lower heat and cook covered for 10 mins.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for a further 4 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomato puree (or prepared sauce or chopped fresh tomatoes) and set on a medium /low heat and cook for 5 minutes, seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Put the okra in and add a little hot water to cover if necessary check for seasoning
- Simmer for about 30-40 minutes or until the okra are tender.
- Serve on a bed of rice with some extra freshly ground pepper.
Growing your ingredients – Growing Okra