In Sydney the pumpkins are ripe and we have had a bumper harvest at the garden. Patricia made a delicious spiced pumpkin pie for us and has shared her recipe that uses that sweet pumpkin spiced with cinnamon, allspice and cloves.
Patricia’s Pumpkin Pie
- 1 cup of plain flour
- 60 g butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 Tblsp chilled water
Spiced Pumpkin filling:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 cup of cooked pumpkin, drained of liquid
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 free range eggs
- pecan halves for decoration
- Place cup of flour and salt in food processor and using the metal blade, process for 10 seconds
- Add the chopped butter and process for 10 seconds or until the mixture resembles bread crumbs
- Add the water through the feed tube and process until the pastry forms adding a little extra drop if needed.
- Wrap tightly in cling wrap and place in refrigerator for 30 minutes while you prepare the spiced pumpkin filling.
- After 30 minutes, roll out the pastry into a circle a little larger than the flan pan and carefully line the flan pan pressing into the inner edges and trimming off the extra
- Using a fork, prick the pastry all over taking care not to go through the whole thickness.
- Use the index finger of your left hand to press into the edge of the pastry while pushing down with the thumb and forefinger of the right hand all around the edge. This will form a scalloped edge. Press the handle end of a teaspoon into each scallop to give definition.
- The pastry flan is now ready for filling
Spiced Pumpkin filling:
- Pre heat oven to 200º C F
- Use a traditional pie dish (I used a loose bottom tart pan )
- Place the pumpkin and spices into a bowl and mix well
- Add the sugar and whisk to combine
- Beat the eggs lightly and whisk through the pumpkin mixing them thoroughly
- Whisk through the milk combining all the mixture well
- Pour into the pastry shell
- Decorate the top of the pie with pecan halves
- Carefully place into the oven and bake for 12 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 180º C and cook for 35-45 minutes or until firm. Check the pie after 30 minutes and cover with foil if browning too much
- When fully cooked remove the pie from the oven and remove carefully remove from the flan pan.
- Serve with a dollop of double cream or ice-cream
Growing your ingredients: