This is such an easy way to cook your favourite sausages with roasted vegetables all in one baking dish. Onions and a good chicken stock add flavour to the roasted potates and carrots. The Italian pork sausages also give flavour to the potatoes and carrots. The pan juices thicken and with the cooked onion slices make a delicious chicken flavoured sauce for the sausages.
Served with red cabbage with vinaigrette dressing makes a great accompaniment along with your favourite crusty bread
Oven Baked sausages and Roasted Vegetables
- 8 Italian pork sausages
- 7-8 medium potatoes (these were King Edward Potatoes, excellent for baking), peeled and cut in half or quarters depending on their size
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced on the diagonal (to give a good surface area)
- 1 Spanish onion, cut in half lengthwise and then sliced
- 2-3 large cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 small branches of fresh rosemary, leaves removed from the stem and chopped
- 1 Tblsp of Italian herbs
- Chicken seasoning
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 35 g butter, melted
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- White wine vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups of Chicken stock
- 2 1/2 Tblsp Plain flour
- 1/4 red cabbage, sliced
- Preheat oven to 180º C Fan Forced
- Prepare the potatoes and carrots and place in a large bowl
- Add the sliced onion and crushed garlic, fresh Rosemary, herbs, chicken seasoning, salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Drizzle with Extra Virgin Olive oil and toss the vegetables to coat them well.
- Pour the melted butter into the baking dish and brush it over all the base
- Place all the prepared vegetables into the baking dish
- In a small bowl place the flour and whisk in the chicken stock till the flour is dissolved
- Pour the stock into the baking dish and then place the sausages over the top of the vegetables
- Place in a preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes and then turn the sausages and bake for a further 25-30 minutes until the sausages and vegetables are golden and tender.
- Remove the cooked sasages and vegetables from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes
- Chop a red cabbage finely, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and dress with 2 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive oil and 2-3 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
- Serve with red cabbage in vinaigrette dressing and some of the thickened pan juices and the cooked onion slices to serve with the sausages.