The zucchinis are blooming in the garden and the fruit grow so fast that its hard to keep up with them.
Today’s recipe is for baked stuffed zucchini using a beauty that Trish shared from her garden.
The recipe calls for 4 medium zucchinis and an Italian style stuffing using a good pork and veal mince and Provolone cheese, grated Parmigiano Regiano, herbs, tomatoes and breadcrumbs.
They are baked to a delicious golden brown.
Baked Stuffed Zucchini
- 4 medium Zucchinis
- the centre of 4 zucchinis scooped out, chopped roughly
- 300 g pork and veal mince
- 150 g fresh bread, soaked in milk and then squeezed till dry
- 150 g provolone cheese cut into small cubes
- 4 tblsp of bread crumbs
- 4 tblsp chopped parsley
- 4 tblsp mint, chopped finely
- 1 sprig of rosemary chopped finely
- 2 clove of garlic chopped finely
- 2 eggs
- 4 small tomatoes, chopped into small pieces
- a pinch of nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 50 g parmigiano reggiano, grated
- 50 g breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 tblsp of extra virgin olive oil
- Cook the zucchinis whole in salted water for 10 minutes and then set aside to cool
- When cooled cut 4 medium large zucchinis lengthwise and scoop out the centre
- Chop half of the the scooped zucchini roughly and add it to the filling
- Combine all the filling ingredients mixing together till just combined
- Drizzle two tablespoons of oil across the bottom of a baking pan and pour in a liittle water.
- Spoon the filling into the zucchini cavities and place the filled zucchini into the prepared baking dish adding more water till it reaches half way up the zucchinis
- In another bowl mix together 50 g of the parmigiano, 50 g of breadcrumbs and 1 1/2 tblsp of extra virgin olive oil, combining well
- Spoon this over the top of the zucchinis
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 C 40-60 minutes, until the tops are golden brown and the zucchini when tested are tender. The cooking time will vary with the size of the zucchini and the individual oven. If further cooking is required cover loosely with foil and cooked till done.
- Serve hot from the oven, drizzled with some extra virgin olive oil and a green garden salad.
Another way to cook the zucchini is the Calabrian way using:
100 g Emmental cheese, 100 g chopped ham, 2 cloves of garlic crushed, 1 egg, 2 tblsp fresh breadcumbs. 80 g parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
Prepare the zucchini as above but omitting the scooped out zucchini. Mix together the stuffing, fill the hollowed out zucchini and place them in a baking dish lined with baking paper and scatter chopped tomatoes and basil over the top of them all and drizzle over with olive oil. Bake till cooked and golden.
Drizzle over some extra virgin olive oil before serving them.
Growing your ingredients – Growing Zucchini