The abundance of zucchinis this summer has inspired another cake recipe that you may enjoy. We use fruit that has been macerated in brandy and add grated zucchini including the skin to give some colour to the finished cake. The result is a moist flavourful cake.
Zucchini Cake with Brandied Fruit
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups Self Raising flour, sifted
- 3/4 cups milk
- Juice of 1 orange
- 100 g dried fruit (50 g raisins and 50 g currents) macerated for 24 h in 4 tablespoons of brandy (or brandied cherries or other brandied fruit of your choice)
- 3 cups grated zucchini
- Pre-heat oven to 180 C
- Butter a large Bundt cake tin and dust with finely grated breadcrumbs
- Cream the butter and sugar until it is smooth
- Add the eggs one at a time beating till well combined
- Alternate the addition of flour, milk and orange juice, ending with a liquid and combining well after each addition but not over mixing.
- Fold in the grated zucchini combining well
- Fold through the brandied fruit with all its liquid, stirring through well
- Pour into prepared bundt tin
- Bake for 45 – 50 mins or until the cake is well browned and a skewer comes out cleanly.
- When cooled remove to a cake rack to cool
- Serve with a dollop of double cream or ice with your favourite cream cheese frosting. I have saved the extra calories and just dusted with icing sugar.