Chicken schnitzel is easy to make and a tasty, crisp meat to serve with a garden salad, mashed potatoes or other vegetables of your liking. I particularly like schnitzel as an accompaniment to buttered noodles with cheese.
This recipe uses chicken breast fillets sliced thinly and contrary to expectation the schnitzels are not dry but flavourful, moist and crisp.
Chicken Schnitzel Home Made
- 4 half chicken breasts, preferably free-range
- 1/2 cup of plain flour
- 1 1/2 cups dried breadcrumbs, ) I have made these by baking stale bread and then crushing it )
- 2 eggs, free-range, lightly beaten
- chicken seasoning (my favourite is, McCormick Chicken Seasoning, that is a mix of thyme,sage, marjoram, rosemary, nutmeg, pepper,and paprika.)
- 2 tblsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- oil for shallow frying
- small knob of oil
- Place 2 shallow bowls side by side with the first with beaten eggs seasoned with salt and ground black pepper, the second with the breadcrumbs
- Place the flour and a teaspoon of chicken seasoning and 1/4 tsp of salt, in a plastic bag. Shake well to mix through the seaonings
- Using a large, sharp kitchen knife and gloves on hands, place left had flat on the fillet and carefully slice across wise to make 2-3 fillets according to the size of the chicken breast fillet
- Lay the piece on a cutting mat and place cling wrap over and flatten with a mallet. Continue till all the pieces are flattened
- Take each piece separately and place in the plastic bag with the flour mix and shake well till covered fully with the flour.
- Then take a fork and dip the fillet fully in the egg making sure it is well covered.
- Using the fork dredge the egged filled in the breadcrumbs turning the piece and pressing the crumbs evenly over each side before setting each piece aside on a plate.
- Continue with each piece and then cover the plate of crumbed chicken fillets loosely with cling wrap and put in the fridge for at least 1/2 an hour. This helps the egg bond the crumbs to the chicken and prevents the crumb from coming off when frying.
- When ready to cook, close to the time of eating, place some oil into a large saucepan and heat on high with the knob of butter till the oil is ready and the butter is foaming. It is important that the oil is hot. You can test by putting in a small square of bread. The oil should bubble immediately the bread hits the oil when ready.
- Cook 2-3 pieces or more depending on the size of your saucepan. It is not good to crowd the pan because this lowers the heat and so the schnitzels absorb more oil.
- Sprinkle each slice with chicken seasoning and also with the finely cut rosemary. When turning season again with the chicken seasoning and rosemary
- Cook for a few minutes turning on each side when golden brown.When well browned on both sides remove to a plate covered in kitchen paper. The schnitzels should be crisp, golden and not oily.
- Serve immediately with wedges of lemon
- If you wish to limit the calories of this dish you can also bake the schnitzels on a tray lined with baking paper. Just use give a short covering of olive oil oil spray over the top and add the seasonings that you would when frying. Bake at 180 C till golden brown, turning halfway through till both sides are golden.
- You can also use thigh fillets that you have beaten flat with a mallet under cling wrap.
- You can also use thin veal escalopes that have been flattened. This is the traditional Wiener Schnitzel that has become so popular across the world.