This soup is cooked slow and long and is rich in vegetables and herbs and full of flavour and hearty goodness.
Hearty Vegetable and Bean Soup
- Borlotti beans, fresh, canned or dried beans that have been soaked and cooked
- 2L vegetable stock
- 1 stick celery, chopped
- 4 potatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped finely
- 2 rashers of bacon, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped finely
- 2 cups cabbage, chopped
- 3 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup chard leaves, chopped
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 sprig of rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 Tblsp olive oilstreaky
- 3 sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- A piece of parmesan cheese rind
- In a large pot heat the oil with the knob of butter and add the onion and cook for 6 minutes until transparent and golden
- Add the garlic, parsley and chopped sage leaves and cook for 2 minutes
- Add the chopped tomatoes cook for 1 minute
- Add the beans, celery, potatoes carrot, bay leaf with the vegetable stock.
- Bring to the boil and then lower the heat to low and cook for an hour.
- Remove the bay leaf
- With the back of a wooden spoon crush half of the potato wedges against the side of the pot, to thicken the soup
- Season with salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- Add the piece of parmesan cheese rind to the soup
- Cook for a a further hour until the soup is thick and the vegetables cooked, stirring from time to time and checking to add a little extra water if needed.
- Serve with grated parmesan cheese and crusty sour dough bread
Growing your ingredients: