Italian pork sausages taste wonderful when cooked in a good homemade tomato sauce and served over a bed pasta or even just on their own with mashed potato or polenta. A salad, some crusty bread and pasta with sausages and tomato sauce make a perfect lunch.
Italian Sausages in Tomato Sauce
- 6 good quality Italian pork sausages
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 Tblsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small knob of butter
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 Tblsp tomato paste
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 small whole carrot (to add some sweetness and balance any acidity in the tomatoes)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 sprig of rosemary, finely chopped
- basil leaves, roughly torn
- 1 Tblsp chicken or vegetable stock powder
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large heavy based saucepan that has a lid, heat the oil and the knob of butter on a medium-low heat
- Add the chopped onions and cook till translucent for about 6 minutes
- Add the minced garlic, stir through and cook for a minute
- Stir through the tomato paste and cook for a minute
- Add the wine and cook for a further couple of minutes
- Add the chopped tomatoes and water
- Stir through the stock powder
- Add the parsley, basil, rosemary bay leaf and stir through.
- Add the whole carrot to the sauce.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour adding a little water if the sauce seems to dry out.
- After an hour and when the sauce is well thickened, brown the sausages in another saucepan with a tablespoon of olive oil and a small knob of butter over a medium heat.
- When browned, place the sausages in the tomato sauce spooning the sauce over them to cover them and continue to simmer for a further hour or until the sauce has thickened well.
Serve over a bed of your favourite pasta with grated parmesan cheese, a green garden salad and some crusty sourdough bread.