Our mulberry tree is groaning under the weight of fruit this spring and this recipe is the first of a series that use this luscious fruit.
These simple and healthy muffins are easy to make and full of fruit.
Apple and Mulberry Muffins
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup of orange juice
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 cup of mulberries, washed and stems removed
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored and grated
- finely grated zest of a lemon
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Line a 12 cup muffin tray or muffin cups and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt and combine well.
- In a pyrex jug, combine the egg, milk, lemon zest , orange juice and oil.
- Fold the grated apple and mulberries into the wet ingredients
- Gently combine until all the ingredients are moistened
- Fill each muffin cup and smooth the top.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes. Leave to cool in the tray for 5 minutes and then cool on a wire rack.
* You may replace mulberries with other berries that may be seasonal in your region.