Jackie has shared her wonderful Vegetarian Zucchini Slice recipe which is perfect for any meal or for lunch at work. It is brings together so many great flavours. The tang of semi-sundried tomatoes, the sweetness of carrots and caramelised onion, the freshness of basil, a hint of ginger and the sharpness of Greek feta and Cheddar cheeses. It is so easy to make and very tasty and satisfying.
Jackie’s Vegetarian Zucchini Slice
- 6 Eggs
- ½ cup Self-Raising flour
- 1 cup Tasty Cheddar cheese, grated
- ½ cup Greek Feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 medium Zucchini, grated
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tblsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed or finely chopped
- Semi-sundried Tomatoes
- 1 tsp fresh ginger (or 1/4 tsp ground ginger)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Basil, torn into small pieces
- Pre-heat oven to 180º C F
- Lightly grease a 30x20cm lasagne dish with olive oil or olive oil cooking spray.
- Heat oil and a knob of butter on medium low and when the butter foams fry the onion in olive oil for 8 minutes
- Add the garlic and cook for a further minute or two then set aside to cool
- When onion and garlic is cooled, combine all ingredients except for eggs.
- Beat eggs lightly with a whisk and then add to other ingredients.
- Pour mixture into dish and bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until knife inserted into mixture comes out clean and slice comes away from the edges.
- Rest for a few minutes before serving
Serve hot or cold with your favourite garden salad.
Growing your own ingredients: