I was given this recipe many years ago and thought I would share it with you. The delicate crisp biscuits are just the accompaniment for a cup of coffee or tea.
Coconut, Cornflake Meringue Cookies
- 2 cups corn flakes
- 3/4 cup of coconut
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 2 egg whites at room temperature*
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 170º C FF
- Line a biscuit tray with baking paper
- Carefully separate the egg whites from the yolks
- Mix cornflakes, coconut and melted butter in a bowl.
- Using another deep bowl, add egg whites and a pinch of salt and beat using a hand mixer on a medium speed
- Add the sugar at the edge of the bowl, one or two tablespoons at a time to egg whites beating after each addition. Beat until the egg whites are glossy and form stiff peaks
- Fold in the coconut, cornflake mix
- Put heaped spoonfuls of the mix on a tray lined with baking paper 4 cm apart
- Bake for 10 minutes
- Let the biscuits to cool on the baking tray for 5 minutes before gently transferring them with a spatula to a rack to cool
* Note: eggs are easier to separate when cold. For this recipe put the eggs in the fridge before separating the whites and then set the whites aside to warm up to room temperature before using. Egg whites at room temperature are easier to aerate.