Bolognese sauce is so easily made in the oven and the flavours of the tomato are enhanced by baking. Use a heavy enamel casserole with a lid that will allow you to start the sauce off on the stove top and then finish in the oven. Or you can use a large baking dish, the choice is yours. The result of the long cooking will give a rich flavourful sauce that you can use to make lasagne or other pasta dishes.
Oven Baked Bolognese Sauce
- 1 large brown onion, chopped finely
- 1 large clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small knob of butter
- 1/2 kg of lean beef mince or even pork and veal mince
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp chicken/veg stock powder
- 2 x 750 ml bottles of tomato puree
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 sprig rosemary (chopped finely)
- 4 large basil leaves, torn
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pre heat the oven to 160º C Fan Forced
- Place a large saucepan or a heavy oven proof casserole on the stove top
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the knob of butter and heat on medium.
- When the butter foams add the chopped onion and garlic and cook on medium low for 5 minutes till translucent.
- Then increase the heat to high and add the mince, browning and separating it well.
- Stir in the tomato paste and cook for a minute
- If you are using a large baking dish, place the meat into the baking dish and continue as below
- Add the tomato puree, wine, chopped tomatoes, chopped rosemary, torn basil leaves and stir through
- Dissolve the stock powder in the two cups of water and add to the sauce, stirring through well
- Season with salt and pepper
- Add the bay leaf and immerse it in the liquid and stir the sauce well
- Make sure that the meat is covered with liquid and add a little more water if needed
- Cover the casserole with its lid, or cover the baking dish with foil and place into the heated oven
- Bake for 2 hours, checking after an hour and adding some boiling water if it needed
- When cooked the sauce should be rich tasting and thickened
- Cool quickly and store in the refrigerator or freeze in portions to use later.
Use your Bolognese sauce to make classic lasagne. Find the recipe at this link
Growing your own ingredients: