Beans are in season and I am harvesting some every day. I have also been making oven roasted tomato sauce with the last of summer’s tomatoes. A great way of using the beans is to cook them in tomato sauce.
This recipe is popular throughout the Mediterranean and you can make a little fresh tomato sauce or use some that you have prepared ahead.
Served with the fried rice the green beans and the rich tomato sauce make a tasty meal.
Green Beans in Tomato Sauce with Rice
- 500 g Green beans, topped and tailed and cut diagonally into pieces
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tblsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes, or prepared tomato sauce or 3-4 large fresh Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 tblsp Extra Virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup of medium grain rice
- 1 Tblsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tsp stock powder
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt and freshly ground black pepper
Green Beans in Tomato Sauce:
- Heat olive oil on medium heat in a pan and add chopped onion. Lower heat and cook covered for 10 mins.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for a further minute or so.
- Stir through the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute
- Add the chopped tomatoes (or prepared sauce or chopped fresh tomatoes)
- Stir through the finely chopped parsley
- Dissolve the stock powder in the water and stir into the tomato mixture
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil and then set the heat low
- Simmer for 20 minutes until the sauce has thickened a little
- Then add the chopped green beans and stir through the sauce
- Add a little hot water to cover them if necessary and check for seasoning
- Simmer covered for about 30 minutes or until the beans are tender.
- While the beans are cooking prepare the fried rice
- Place olive oil in pan and heat on medium
- Put in the rice and stir to toast the grains for 5 mins or till lightly coloured
- Dissolve the stock powder, salt and pepper into the water and add to the rice
- Stir through well, bring to the boil and then turn the heat to the lowest setting.
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes then set aside, the grains should separate well.
When the beans in sauce are cooked and tender and the sauce is reduced and thick, serve with the fried rice and some crusty bread.