The first plums of the season are these delicious cherry plums. We have made these into a very nice jam and share the recipe with you.
Plum and Cinnamon Jam
- 1 kg plums
- 1 kg sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Wash 4 x 460ml jam jars with hot soapy water, rinsing them well and place the jars on a tray Place the lids into a pan of boiling water turn off and leave on the stove top for the moment
- Put a small plate in the freezer for later testing
- Wash the plums, halve and remove the stones
- Place in a heavy bottom stainless steel pan
- add the cinnamon stick
- Bring to the boil and then lower to simmer and cook 45-60 minutes stirring from time to time. The cooking time will depend on the ripeness of the plums. The plums should be reduced to a pulp after this time.
- Around 10 minutes before the end of the cooking time put the sugar into a wide baking dish into a 120 C oven and heat for 10 minutes
- When the plums are cooked pour the heated sugar into the hot plums stirring well
- Bring to the boil and boil rapidly
- Meanwhile place the tray of washed jam jars into the oven and heat the lids in the pan of water bringing it to the boil and then setting it to simmer
- Boil the jam rapidly for 10 minutes
- In the meantime check the temperature with a candy thermometer. It should reach 105 C. Take great care when doing this to avoid burns and continue boiling for the ten minutes
- Test for setting by placing a spoonful on the cold plate from the freezer. The jam should congeal and wrinkle when pushed gently with your finger
- remove the cinnamon stick
- If it is set carefully ladle into hot jars and seal with sterilized lids.
This recipe make 4 jars of jam.