Apricots are in season in Sydney at the moment and and over the next few weeks they will be at their ripe perfection. Its a perfect time to make some delicious apricot jam for your morning toast.
- 1.8 kg apricots, firm, ripe and soft (flesh only no kernel)
- 350 ml water (50 ml per 300 gr of fruit)
- 5 tablespoons tbls lemon juice and 3 strips lemon rind/zest(no pith)
- 1.6 kg sugar . (260 grams per 300 gr of fruit). approx.
- Wash jam jars in hot soapy water, rinsing them well.Put them on an oven tray.
- Put the lids into a small pan of water and bring to the boil. Then lower the heat and leave them to simmer on the lowest heat.
- Wash apricots. Halve or quarter them and remove stones.
- Put fruit, water and lemon zest and juice into a stainless steel saucepan (or stainless steel preserving pan ) and bring slowly to a boil
- Simmer until fruit is just tender, around 1 hour
- While the apricots are cooking put the sugar into a clean baking dish and warm it in the oven. (7-10 mins at 110 Deg C)
- Remove the sugar from the oven and place the jam jars on oven tray into the oven on 110 C They should be completely dry when the jam is ready to fill.
- When the apricots are cooked down, add the warmed sugar to the pan, stirring until sugar has dissolved
- Then boil rapidly at just below high until the temperature of the jam reaches 106 F on the candy thermometer. for about 15 – 20 minutes or until setting stage is reached
- Drop a small amount onto a chilled saucer for 30 seconds, Push the jam with your finger, if it wrinkles it has reached its setting point.
- Ladle into hot, sterilised jars, and seal. Handle the lids with sterilised tongs and never let your hands touch the inside of the lids.