After having harvested the peanuts from our garden, they have dried and are cured and ready for eating and making some delicious cookies. This recipe was given to me by a dear friend Elizabeth and I would like to share it with you
Peanut and Almond cookies
- 500g Raw Peanuts (skinned and chopped finely, see note below) or regular roasted but unsalted, chopped finely, if unavailable.
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups of caster sugar
- Extra granulated sugar to roll the cookies in
- 1 tsp of Almond Essence
- Separate the eggs
- Beat the egg whites until peaks form
- Beat egg yolks, caster sugar and almond essence
- Fold through the chopped peanuts combining well
- Gently fold through the beaten egg whites
- Take tablespoons if the mixture and roll it into balls
- Roll the balls in sugar in a plastic bag
- Place the balls on lined baking paper on a tray 5 cm apart
- Bake in oven at 400 C for 10 mins until brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool before removing.
How to skin raw peanuts:
Blanch the shelled peanuts in boiling water a few at a time and set aside. After a few minutes rub the skin off gently.
Spread the peanuts in a baking tray and place in the oven at 180 C for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool then rub the skins off.