This delightful cherry tart can be made with this season’s ripe fresh cherries or out of season with preserved cherries. It has a thin biscuity crust and is not overly sweet, making it a delicious dessert to serve with a good custard or ice cream. The pastry and the cherry filling can both be made ahead of time making the preparation really easy. Many thanks to Dominique for sharing this recipe with us.
Dominique’s Cherry Tart
2 quantities of Basic shortcrust pastry: ( One quantity of pastry for base, one quantity for the top.)
• 2 x 175g plain flour
• 2 x 25g icing sugar
• 2 x 100g chilled butter
• 2 x 1 egg yolk
• 2 x 1 tbsp water
• 800g pitted cherries
• 150g caster sugar
• 1 cinnamon stick
• 1 vanilla pod, split lengthwise
• Strip of orange rind
• Strip of lemon rind
• 4 Tbsp port
• Cornflour slurry (4 tsp cornflour and 1-2 Tbsp water)
To make the pastry:
- Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C fan forced.
- In a food processor, combine flour, icing sugar and butter and process until mixture turns into a fine breadcrumb consistency.
- Add egg yolk and water to the mixture and process until ingredients just come together.
- Kneed mixture briefly, flatten into a disc, wrap with cling film and refrigerate.
- Meanwhile, prepare cherries. In a pot over low/medium heat, combine cherries, sugar, cinnamon, peel, vanilla and port.
- Stir gently for 5 minutes or until sugar has dissolved.
- Strain cherries, reserve juice and set cherries aside.
- Add juices, cinnamon stick, peel and vanilla pod back to pan and reduce over medium heat.
- Add cornflour slurry and when mixture begins to thicken, stir for another minute to cook the cornflour.
- Remove cinnamon stick, peel and vanilla pod, and add mixture to cherries and stir through gently and allow to cool.
- Roll out one quantity of pastry between two sheets of baking paper to line a fluted tart dish with a removable base.
- Trim excess pastry and place tart shell in the freezer for 30 minutes to rest.
- Roll out the remaining pastry and cut into shapes or strips to cover tart. Lay on baking tray and chill in the fridge.
- Pour cherry mixture into tart shell, cover with prepared shapes/strips
- Bake for 25-35 minutes or until pastry is golden and filling has set.
- Allow to cool completely before removing from tart shell.
- For ease of serving the tart should be allowed to sit so that the filling sets well.
Dust with icing sugar and serve with warmed custard.