This is a rich and moist chocolate cake that combines the flavours of rum and orange.
It is a perfect cake for the Christmas season decorated with a light glaze or simply covered with a whisper of icing sugar.
Chocolate Rum Bundt Cake
- 1 3/4 cups self raising flour
- 1 cup light brown demerara sugar
- 1/2 cup dark cocoa (Van Houten)
- 1 tsp bi-carb soda
- 1 1/2 tsp orange zest
- 4 tbsp orange juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup natural yoghurt
- 4 tblsp dark rum
- 2 eggs
- Pre-heat oven to 180 C
- Butter and flour a Bundt tin
- Sift flour, cocoa and bi-carb soda into a bowl
- Cream sugar and eggs in a large bowl
- Add orange zest and mix well
- Add olive oil, vanilla extract, rum and yoghurt and whisk till well incorporated
- Whisk in orange juice.
- Fold through flour mix a little at a time till well combined.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared bundt tin
- Bake at 180 C for 50 minutes or until a skewer comes out cleanly.
- Cool for about 10 minutes, then turn onto a wire cooling rack
- Once cool you may cover with your favourite icing or dust with icing sugar and decorate with glacé cherries as I have done.
You could substitute lime juice and zest in your cake and add some dark chocolate chips to enrich it.