This is a traditional dish from the Friuli region in the north of Italy and is an easy meal that you can quickly prepare for lunch or a light dinner. I have used organic free-range eggs and some oven roasted tomato sauce made from the sweet summer tomatoes harvested this summer.
Eggs in Tomato Sauce or ‘al funghetto’
- 3 eggs, boiled and cooled then halved lengthways
- 1 small white onion, chopped finely
- 1 tblsp of extra virgin olive oil
- a small knob of butter
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced
- 1 cups of home made tomato sauce or some ripe or canned chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup of finely chopped parsley, stalks removed,1 tablespoon for garnish.
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Perfect hard boiled eggs: (for an electric stove)
- Place eggs in a steamer basket over 1 cm of water in the saucepan below.
- Set on full heat and when the water boils reduce the lowest setting for 4-5 minutes
- Then turn off the heat and leave the saucepan on the electric burner until it cools off.
Making up the Eggs in Tomato Sauce ‘al funghetto’
- Heat olive oil and a small knob of butter in a medium saucepan on a medium low heat.
- Sweat the onions and minced garlic with the lid on for 8 mins until translucent and well cooked.
- Add the tomato sauce, seasoning with salt and ground black pepper.
- Stir through the finely chopped parsley and cook for 10 mins to thicken and reduce it a little.
- Carefully lower the halved eggs into the hot sauce , cut side up and spoon the sauce over them.
- Cook on a low-medium heat for a further 4 minutes.
- Serve immediately with grilled polenta or some crusty sourdough bread
You may want to add some chilli or chilli oil to spice up the flavour. Just add to taste.