Roasting vegetables brings out their flavours so I have chosen to use this method to make the classic Leek and Potato soup, a satisfying soup with the delicate flavour of leeks.
Roasted Leek and Potato Soup
- 6 medim or 3 large potatoes
- 2 leeks, cleaned well and sliced
- 3 French shallots, chopped
- 2 Tblsp olive oil
- freshly ground pepper and salt
- 1/4 cup of vegetable or chicken stock for baking vegetables
- 1 1/2 cup stock for blending vegetables
- 1 1/2 cups of whole milk, warmed
- Preheat oven to 200 C
- Remove the dark green part of the leek and cut the remaining light green and white part lengthwise and wash well under running water to remove the dirt from between the leaves.
- Slice the leeks into 1.5 cm slices and place in a bowl of water.
- Peel and chop the French shallots
- Peel and cut the potatoes into small pieces
- Drizzle the olive oil onto a baking dish
- Place the leek slices, French shallots and potato pieces tossing the oil through the vegetables well and season with freshl gound pepper and salt
- Pour over the chicken or vegetable stock
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes, stirring the vegetables occasionally
- Uncover and bake for a further 15 minutes then remove from the oven
- Remove the vegetables and pan juices to a saucepan, add cup and a half of stock gradually and blend the mixture with an immersion blender till the soup is thick and smooth
- Stir in the milk and heat through but do not boil then remove from the stove
- Ladle into serving bowls and serve with chopped chives, parsley or some crispy bacon
Growing your ingredients: