This is a satisfying dish with nutritious spiced lentils, roasted capsicum and kale braised with garlic and caramelised onions.
This is another recipe for the 2016 International Year of Pulses.
Braised Kale with Roasted Capsicum and Lentils
- 1/2 cup green lentils, washed well
- 1 large whole clove of garlic
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 bunch , 3 cups Kale, washed, stalks removed and chopped
- 3 large cloves of garlic, minced, to braise with kale
- 1 red capsicum
- 1 large brown onion, sliced
- 2 Tblsp olive oil
- knob of butter
- 1/2 cup of water
- salt and ground pepper
- White balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 200º C F
- Wash and dry capsicum
- Place on a tray lined with baking paper and bake for 12 minutes
- When flesh is tender, remove from the oven and wrap in foil and set aside
- Place water in saucepan and add in the washed lentils, cumin, garlic and salt.
- Bring to the boil and then lowers the heat to a low simmer
- Cover and cook for 40 -45 minutes until the lentils are tender. The water shou
- Using a large frypan, pour in olive oil, and knob of butter and heat on medium low
- When butter foams add the sliced onion, cover and cook gently till caramelised, about 8 minutes. The water should all be absorbed when done.
- Unwrap the capsicum and peel of the skin and remove the seeds
- Cut into 1 cm strips and halve the strips
- Add the chopped kale, minced garlic, bay leaf, water and stir.
- Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes or a little less if the kale is from your own garden. It should be wilted and tender when done.
- Stir through the cooked lentils and capsicum
- When serving splash on white balsamic vinegar and test for seasoning adding a little extra salt and ground pepper according to your own taste.
- Serve with fried rice. You can find the fried rice recipe here
Serve your braised kale with fried rice and accompanied with the freshest flat bread, Greek or Bulgarian Feta cheese and fresh rocket.
Growing your ingredients: