This recipe uses healthy chickpeas in a rich tomato sauce. It can be made ahead for a healthy lunch accompanied by some steamed rice or with crusty bread.
Chickpeas with Tomato Sauce
- 4 slices of bacon chopped finely
- 1 carrot, chopped finely
- 1 brown onion chopped finely
- 1 stalk of celery chopped finely
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 3 cups of tomato passata
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tins of chickpeas, drained
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- Heat oil in a large frypan and cook bacon, celery, onion and carrot on a medium heat for 8 minutes or until the onion is transparent
- Add tomato paste, tomato passata, chick peas
- Stir in the stock and the chopped parsley
- Cover and simmer for 40 minutes until the sauce is thickened, adding some extra water if you see the sauce is drying out
- Half way through the cooking period add salt and ground pepper.
- Serve with steamed rice or your favourite crusty sourdough bread, and a sprinkling of fresh parsley over the top.
You can vary this basic recipe with any kind of white beans that you would like.
The addition of a long red chilli chopped finely and prepared to your liking with 2 cans of canellini beans will make this a nice chilli bean recipe.