Bottle Gourd, long marrow, calabash, the many names for this interesting vegetable. It contains many vitamins and minerals, such as, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, Vitamin A, C and folate. So why not buy it when you see it at your green grocer or better still try growing some yourself.
Our neighbours Peter and Amy grew this large vegetable and our friend Ann kindly shared her recipe for this delicious dish using onion, mustard and coconut.
Ann’s Bottle Gourd with Coconut
- 2 cups bottle gourd, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 Tblsp grated coconut
- 1 Tblsp vegetable oil
- season to taste
- Heat the oil in a saucepan on a moderated heat
- Add the mustard seeds and cook till they pop
- Add the sliced onion and cook till well caramelised, about 6 minutes
- Add the coconut and cook for a minute or so taking care not to burn it.
- Add the bottle gourd pieces and when the mixture starts to boil reduce to low and simmer for about 30-40 minutes until tender
- Serve with your favourite rice