Pears are always a favourite and this simple recipe adds spices to the pears for an upside down cake that is perfect to have with a good cup of tea or coffee. The pears I have used are the flavoursome Corella pears which are perfumed and beautifully blushed.
Spiced Pear Upside Down Cake
- 1 cup of Self Raising flour
- 100 g light brown or light muscovado sugar
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp milk
- 2 1/2 tbsp golden syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon of orange zest
- 1 egg, large, beaten
- 2-3 ripe pears
- 15 g butter
- 1tbsp golden syrup
- Prepare a 20 cm baking tin by greasing the tin and lining it with baking paper. (here I greased and lined the base and used very fine breadcrumbs around the sides because the tin had a slight flare)
- Peel and core pears and slice thinly
- Steam pears for 5 mins until softened (if pears are unavailable you can also use canned pears)
- Make topping by placing the tablespoon of golden syrup and the butter over a low heat and stir until melted
- Pour into the prepared baking tin and smooth over the base
- Arrange the pear slices in a circle over the base of the tin into the centre.
- Sift the dry ingredients; flour and spices into a bowl
- In another bowl place sugar, stir in the beaten egg, milk, oil, vanilla extract and golden syrup combining well
- Gradually stir in the flour mix, combining well
- Spoon gently over the pears
- Bake at 160 C fan forced, or 180 C conventional, for 35 minutes or until skewer comes out cleanly.
- Set aside to cool for a few minutes then invert onto a plate
- Serve with double cream or yoghurt.