I still have some apricots from Boris and Rod and took some to make these cookies.
These cookies blend fresh or dried apricots and coconut and can be made plain or decorated with a piece of walnut for some variety.
Coconut Apricot Crisp Cookies
- 1/2 cup apricots finely chopped, you can also use dried apricots.
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 150 g butter cut into small pieces
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Walnut pieces
- Pre-heat oven to 180 C
- Sift the flour.
- In a food processor place flour and butter and process for 10 seconds till the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
- Add sugar, coconut and process till combined
- Add apricots and vanilla and process till the mixture forms a ball of dough.
- Place dough on floured board and turn over flouring the ball.
- Take tablespoons of dough and roll into balls
- Roll in coconut and place on baking tray leaving 3 cm between the biscuits
- Flatten the biscuits with a fork
- Push a piece of walnut into some of the biscuits
- Bake for 15 mins or until golden brown, checking after 10 minutes. If browning too quickly loosely cover with aluminium foil till cooked.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes on tray before removing to a wire rack to cool.