We have just harvested our potatoes and so this recipe for pan roasted chicken and potatoes cooked in white wine with fresh rosemary is a satisfying and delicious way to cook them. The potatoes are tender and flavourful and the chicken is moist.
Rosemary Chicken and Potatoes
- 6 skinless chicken thigh chops (with the bone in) or thigh fillets
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled, cut into 1 cm thick slices horizontally and dried with a paper towel
- 2 Tblsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 knob of butter
- 4-5 Tblsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 cup of dry white wine
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- chicken seasoning or your own favourite spices.
- Use a large broad fry pan which has a lid to cook the chicken and potatoes or if you don’t have one perhaps a large Dutch oven
- Wash the chicken thigh chops and dry them well with paper towel
- Heat the oil and knob of butter in a large fry pan over a medium high heat
- When the butter foams and the oil is hot, carefully lower the chicken thigh chops into the pan trying not to crowd them
- Sprinkle them with chicken seasoning, salt , ground pepper and some of the chopped rosemary (keeping a little rosemary aside to sprinkle over the potatoes)
- When the underside is well coloured and golden brown, carefully turn each piece and season the upper side in the same way as before
- When the chicken is well browned on all sides, scatter the sliced potatoes around the chicken pieces, sprinkle them with rosemary and cook them for 5 minutes.
- Carefully turn the potatoes over and then pour over the white wine
- Cook for a further 2 minutes then cover the fry pan and lower the heat to medium low.
- Cook until all the wine is evaporated turning the chicken pieces from time to time
- The liquid will evaporate slowly over the cooking time and will reduce and caramelise the chicken and the potatoes. In fact the liquid will go from a slightly opaque colour to a clear reduced caramelised oil.
- When the liquid has reduced remove the lid and cook until nearly fully reduced and clear
- Turn the pieces to pick up this caramelised liquid reduction, carefully turning the softened potatoes too.
- Serve with a green garden salad